Friday 8 July 2011

Things 10-12 + Cool Extra Thing

Already an avid Facebook user, I have recently been toying with the idea of joining Twitter, as I feel like there is more happening on there.  I have therefore used 23 Things as the impetus to set up an account but have decided to use it personally rather than professionally.  I am finding it difficult to adjust at the moment, so set am I in my Facebook ways but I am making an effort to use it in place of Facebook for the time being.  I do like the rapid exchanges but think I will continue to use Facebook for pictures.  I have followed one library and thus completed Thing 11.  I am also involved in updating the SCHS Libraries Twitter account so I have experience of its more professional use.  We tend to tweet interesting thing happening in the world of health and education but I see other libraries provided updates about their services.

I decided not to join LinkedIn because at the moment it would be one too many accounts to try and maintain.  I fear it would become neglected, which would not give a favourable impression.  It is still good to be reminded that it is there and may be of use in the future.

Most of the library Facebook pages seem to provide updates on new material and events.  The use of pictures to show new books and the fact that people can see the answer to questions that they may have had themselves are good.  I do however think that striking the right tone between professional and personal is quite tricky on this medium.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting how you've used facebook but not twitter previously. Some people use twitter just to follow accounts as a means of info gathering and don't actually post themselves. I'm sure you'll find more usues once you get into the swing of it, but as you already use twitter for schs you probably know a lot of library related accounts anyway.
    Shame you've decided not to do Thing 12. We picked linkedin as it is good for professional networking and shows how social networks aren't just frivolous things. (which can be some people's perception of facebook) Would be interested to hear a little bit more about what you think of linkedin and of course as you say you can use it in future

    Rowena 23 things team

    ReplyDelete